You’re careful with your possessions, but even the most cautious people can make mistakes when it comes to locking their doors.
Making a mistake when locking your door can be costly. It might mean that you forget to lock your door and someone walks right in, or that you can’t get back into your own house after work.
Use Right On Time Locksmith’s tips to avoid making these 10 common locking mistakes. Our experienced locksmiths are here to help you keep your home and belongings safe and secure.
These Are The 10 Common Locking Mistakes!
1. Forgetting to lock your door – This is the most common mistake people make when it comes to locks. You might think that locks are only necessary when you’re away from home, but even if you’re just going to be in the next room, it’s important to lock your door. Burglars often target homes that are easy to get into, such as those with unlocked doors.
2. Putting your keys in the lock before locking the door – This is another common mistake that can leave your home vulnerable to burglary. When you put your key in the lock and turn it, you’re telling potential burglars that your house is empty. Make sure you always lock your door before putting your key in the lock.
3. Not using a lockset – A lockset is a metal bar that locks the door from the inside. It’s a good idea to have one on your door, especially if you live in a high-crime area. If someone tries to break into your house, the lockset will keep them out.
4. Not locking your windows – Just like your door, it’s important to lock your windows when you’re not at home. Windows are an easy way for burglars to get into your house. Make sure all of your windows are locked before you go to bed at night.
5. Leaving a key under the doormat – If you leave a key under the doormat, you’re making it easy for burglars to get into your house. Anyone who knows where your key is can easily enter your home. Instead, give your key to a friend or family member who can keep it safe for you.
6. Using a locksmith who isn’t licensed – When you need to have a lock replaced or repaired, make sure you use a locksmith who is licensed and insured. Unlicensed locksmiths might not be qualified to do the job properly, which could leave your home vulnerable to burglary.
7. Not changing your locks when you move into a new house – If you move into a new house, make sure you change the locks immediately. You don’t know who might have a key to the house, and you don’t want to take any chances. It’s a good idea to have a locksmith come out and inspect your locks to make sure they’re up to date.
8. Not using a deadbolt – A deadbolt is a type of lock that is much harder to break into than a regular doorknob lock. If you have a deadbolt on your door, it’s much more difficult for burglars to get into your house.
9. Installing locks that can be easily picked – Not all locks are created equal. Some locks are easier to pick than others, which means that they’re not as safe as they should be. Make sure you use a locksmith who is qualified to install locks that can’t be easily picked.
10. Not using a security system – A security system is the best way to protect your home and belongings. It not only locks your doors and windows, but it also sends an alert to the police if someone tries to break in. Make sure you have a security system installed in your home to keep you and your family safe.
FAQs About Careful With These 10 Common Locking Mistakes!
What if you don’t have a key?
If you don’t have a key, the locksmith will have to drill the lock open. If you have an electronic lock, they may be able to pick it up or use a code bypass.
Can locks be picked?
Yes, locks can be picked with the right tools and knowledge. However, this is not a recommended method for gaining entry, as it can damage the lock.
Can I break into my own house?
Technically, yes, you can break into your own house. However, it’s not advisable, as you could damage the locks or door frame in the process. It’s always best to call a locksmith if you’re locked out.
What should I do if I lose my key?
If you lose your key, you should call a locksmith immediately. They will be able to create a new key for you or help you get back into your home.
Can locks be reset?
Yes, locks can be reset. However, this should only be done by a locksmith, as it requires special tools and knowledge.
What is the difference between a deadbolt and a spring bolt?
A deadbolt is a locking mechanism that is installed on the door itself and requires a key to open from the outside. A spring bolt is a locking mechanism that is installed on the frame of the door and does not require a key to open from the outside.
What is a lockset?
A lockset is the complete locking mechanism, which includes the lockset, key cylinder, and doorknob or lever.
How do I know if my locks are outdated?
If your locks are more than 10 years old, they may be outdated and vulnerable to attacks. It’s always best to upgrade your locks when possible.
Can I use a credit card to open a lock?
It is possible to use a credit card to open a lock, but this should only be done as a last resort. A locksmith will be able to help you get back into your home without damaging the lock.
What is a lockpick?
A lockpick is a tool used to pick locks. It can be made from various materials, including metal, plastic, or wood.
What is the difference between a lockset and a deadbolt?
A lockset is the complete locking mechanism, which includes the lockset, key cylinder, and doorknob or lever. A deadbolt is a locking mechanism that is installed on the door itself and requires a key to open from the outside. It’s much harder to break into than a regular doorknob lock.
Can I use a locksmith to get back into my house if I lose my key?
Yes, locksmiths can help you get back into your house if you lose your key. They will be able to create a new key for you or help you get back into your home.
Can locks be repaired?
Yes, locks can be repaired. However, this should only be done by a locksmith, as it requires special tools and knowledge.
Is it illegal to pick locks?
It is not illegal to pick locks in most cases. However, if you are caught trespassing with the intent to pick locks, you may be arrested. Always consult with a locksmith before attempting to pick a lock yourself.
What should I do if my lock is frozen?
If your lock is frozen, you should use a hairdryer to heat it up. Do not use a torch or other type of flame, as this could damage the lock or door frame.
Is it safe to use WD-40 on locks?
WD-40 is not a safe lubricant for locks. It can cause the metal to corrode and may even void the warranty on your locks. Instead, use a lock lubricant specifically designed for locks.
Are you looking for a locksmith?
You’re in luck. Right On Time Locksmith is the best choice for all your locksmith needs. We have been serving Maryland, Virginia, and DC with quality workmanship at affordable prices. Our technicians are highly trained to handle any situation that may arise during their visit so you can rest easy knowing we will get the job done right!
When it comes to security, nothing beats having a professional on your side who knows what they’re doing. That’s why when you call us, we make sure our team of experts arrives on time and is ready to take care of business.
From lockouts and key cutting services to full installations or repairs, we do it all! Plus, if you need help after hours or on weekends (or even holidays), don’t worry because our 24/7 emergency service is always available!