As we all know, the security of our homes is of the utmost importance. After all, our homes are our havens; they are where we should feel the safest.
Unfortunately, home invasions and burglaries are all too common, which is why it is so important to have a good locking system in place.
You may be wondering if your home’s locking system is adequate enough to protect you and your family.
As the old saying goes, better safe than sorry. It’s important to know as much as possible about your home’s locking system so that you can feel confident and safe in your security. Right On Time Locksmith is here to help.
We’ve compiled a list of the 12 most important facts about residential locking systems so that you can be sure you’re taking all the necessary precautions to keep your loved ones safe and secure.
1. Not all locks are created equal – There is a variety of locking systems available on the market, and not all of them are created equal. Make sure you research your options and find a locking system that is right for your home.
2. There’s more to a lock than just the key – In order to properly protect your home, you need to use more than just a standard keyed lock. There is a variety of locking systems available that offer additional security features such as keypads, fingerprint scanners, and even facial recognition software.
3. A deadbolt is your best defense – A deadbolt is one of the most important pieces of security hardware you can have on your home. It offers superior protection against forced entry and is much more difficult to pick than a standard keyed lock.
4. Don’t underestimate the power of a good strike plate – The strike plate is the metal plate that is attached to your door frame and reinforces the area around your door knob or deadbolt. A good strike plate will be made of thick metal and have screws that are at least three inches long.
5. Make sure your locks are properly installed – One of the most important things you can do to ensure the security of your home is to make sure all of your locks are properly installed. This means using the correct size screws, making sure the strike plates are properly aligned and using appropriate weather-stripping around your doors.
6. Keep your keys safe and secure – It’s important to keep your keys safe and secure, especially if you have house keys and car keys together. Make sure to keep your keys in a place where they can’t be easily accessed by thieves, and never leave them lying around in plain sight.
7. Change your locks when you move – When you move into a new home, it’s important to change the locks immediately. You don’t know who may have copies of the old key, and it’s better to be safe than sorry.
8. Always use a licensed locksmith – When it comes time to install or repair your home’s locking system, it’s always best to use a licensed locksmith. This way you can be sure they are properly trained and have the necessary experience to do the job right.
9. Keep your locks well-maintained – Like anything else in your home, your locking system will need occasional maintenance and repairs. Be sure to keep an eye on your locks and have them serviced as needed to ensure they are always in good working condition.
10. Don’t forget about window locks – While doors are the most common point of entry for burglars, windows should not be overlooked. Be sure to install locks on all of your windows, and make sure they are locked whenever you leave the house.
11. Know when to call a locksmith – There are a few times when it’s particularly important to call a locksmith. If you lose your keys, if you lock yourself out of your house, or if you experience a break-in, it’s time to call in the professionals.
12. Keep a spare key hidden outside – In case of an emergency, it’s always a good idea to keep a spare key hidden outside your home. This way you will be able to get back into your house even if you lose your keys or they are stolen.
FAQs About Residential Locking System
Why do we need a locking system??
A locking system is important because it helps to deter criminals and protect your home from break-ins. A good locking system will make it much more difficult for a burglar to enter your home, and this can often be enough to dissuade them from trying.
What is the best residential locking system?
There is no one “best” residential locking system, as the best system for your home will depend on your specific needs and security requirements. However, some of the most popular and effective locking systems include keyless entry systems, deadbolts, and strike plates.
How much does a residential locking system cost?
The cost of a residential locking system will vary depending on the type of system you choose and the number of locks you need. Keyless entry systems can start at around $100, while more high-tech options like fingerprint scanners may cost several thousand dollars.
How do I know if my residential locking system is secure?
There are a few things you can look for to determine if your residential locking system is secure. First, make sure all of your locks are properly installed and in good working condition. Secondly, be sure to use a variety of different locks, including deadbolts, strike plates, and keyless entry systems. Finally, keep your keys safe and secure, and always call a licensed locksmith if you have any doubts about the security of your home.
What do I do if my residential locking system fails?
If your residential locking system fails, the first thing you should do is call a licensed locksmith. They will be able to assess the situation and determine whether you need a new lock or simply a repair. In some cases, you may be able to fix the problem yourself, but it’s always best to err on the side of caution and call in a professional.
What are some common problems with residential locking systems?
Some common problems with residential locking systems include loose doorknobs, broken keys, and faulty locks. These problems can often be fixed relatively easily by a licensed locksmith. However, if you are experiencing more serious issues, such as a break-in or a burglary, it’s important to call the police immediately.
Did you know that there are different types of residential locking systems?
Most people don’t know the difference between a deadbolt and a doorknob lock. And even fewer people know about the different types of residential locking systems available on the market today.
That’s why we’ve put together this list of the 12 most important facts about residential locking systems.
Once you’ve learned about the different types of locks and locking systems, you’ll be able to make an informed decision about which type is best for your home.
We hope that our article will help you feel more confident about choosing the right lock for your home.
If you are in need of locksmith services in the Maryland and DC Metro areas, you can always count on Right on Time Locksmith. We have been in business for many years now and know everything there is to know about the world of locks and keys.